- Archives Department, City Hall Room 129, 1200 Market Street
The Archives Department is the custodian of historic documents including birth and death records for St. Louis City, land records, marriage licenses , and articles of incorporation.
This office also helps with genealogical searches and in locating documents for academic or scholarly purposes.
The Archives Department is located in Room 129 of City Hall and may be reached at (314) 589-6796.
Deed Copy Requirements
1921 to Present
No Refunds. No Exchanges After Document Leaves Office.
Customer is responsible for purchasing desired document copy.
Copy Requirements – Fee and Information Customer Must Provide
- $ Payment for Walk-In Service is by Visa/MasterCard, Cash, Money Order, or Business Check. No personal checks.
- $ Payment for Mail-In Service is by Personal Check, Business Check, Money Order, or Cash.
- Fee for Certified: $5 First Page + $2.00 Each Additional Page
- Fee for Uncertified: $3 First Page + $2.00 Each Additional Page
- Provide Grantee Name (Buyer or Recipient)
- Provide Property Address (Street Number + Street Name)
- Provide Document’s Recorder Book and Page Numbers
How to Obtain Book and Page Numbers
Documents Recorded July 1982 to Present
Customer Must Provide: Address or Grantee/Grantor Name
- One Document: The Recorder’s Archives Staff will search the Recorder’s Database (by Address, or Name, or Parcel Number) and provide customer with the Recorder Book and Page Numbers.
- Multiple Documents: Customer must use one of theRecorder’s public research computers to search the Recorder’s Database (by Address, or Name, or Parcel Number) and obtain Recorder Book and Page Numbers.
Document Recorded 1921 to July 1982 Customer Must Provide: Date and Daily Numbers
From Room 114, Assessor’s Office, City Hall
- One Document: Customer provides Recorder’sImaging/Microfilm Staff with Date and Daily Numbers from Assessor. Staff will search Recorder’s Date and Daily Book to provide customer with the Recorder Book and Page Numbers.
- Multiple Documents: Customer obtains Date and DailyNumbers from Assessor, and then searches Recorder’s Date and Daily Books to obtain the Recorder Book and Page Numbers.
ADOPTION DEEDS (pre-1917)
- $0 Name Search Using Deeds of Adoptions Card File Index
- $3 Per Uncertified Copy
- No Copies of Index Cards or Book Covers
LAND RECORDS – No Copies of Index
- $20 per ten year search for Grantor Index search
- $20 per ten year search for Grantee Index search
- $3 First Page Uncertified Copy
- $2 Each Page Thereafter, Same Document
- No Copies of Index Pages or Book Covers
MARRIAGE RECORDSFree Marriage Search
- $4 Per Name for Bride Index search
- $4 Per Name for Groom Index search