Our Land Records Department receives and maintains all incoming real estate-related documents for land located within the City of St. Louis — deeds, liens, affidavits, court orders, and other miscellaneous recordable documents.
Documents received in this department must adhere to guidelines as outlined in Missouri State Statues. This department is fully automated with most information being accessible by our highly skilled staff within minutes in most cases.
All document requests from our Land Department are in compliance with Missouri State Statute 59.313.
The City of St Louis Recorder of Deeds Land Department is not responsible for the accuracy of legal descriptions.
The Land Records Department is located in Room 128 of City Hall and may be reached at (314) 622-3260.
Free Land History Search
Click to sign up for free Property Fraud Alert Service
Purchase Copies of Land Records Online
Deed Recording and Fee Requirements
Exceptions to Page Format Requirements:
- Documents signed prior to January 1, 2002.
- Document executed outside United States.
- Document where one of original parties is deceased/incapacitated.
- Judgments or other documents formatted to meet court requirements.
- Uniform Commercial Code recordings.
- Federal and State Tax Liens and their Lien Releases.
First Page Recording Requirements
- Affected property must be located in City of St. Louis.
- Title/Type of document (such as General Warranty Deed, Quit Claim Deed) must be stated in the heading.
- Origination Date of document must be stated (such as “made on this 4th day of July, 2002”).
- The Legal Names of All Grantors and All Grantees must be stated.
- The Mailing Address for Each Grantor must be stated.
- The Mailing Address for At Least One Grantee must be stated.
- Legal Description of Property must be correct, complete and include City Block Number + Lot Number.
- When a document refers to any previously recorded document, the new document must state the Book & Page Numbers or Date & Daily Numbers of the cited previous document.
- If insufficient space on the First Page for all aforementioned information, the First Page must include a citation for the Page Reference within the document, or the Exhibit or Attachment to the document, where the required information is provided.
Miscellaneous Recording Requirements
Release for a Deed of Trust Recorded Before 1986: Must be accompanied by original Note and Deed of Trust.
Certificate of Value Required (Chapter 5.70 St. Louis City Revised Code). Contact St. Louis City Assessor at (314) 622-3212.
Recording Fees – Payment Due In Advance of Services
Payment for Walk-In Service: No Personal Checks. Pay with Cash, Money Order, or Business Check.
Payment for Mail-In Service: Pay with Check or Money Order only.
Standard Deed: $23 First Page + $5 Each Additional Page. NonStandard Deed: $48 First Page + $5 Each Additional Page. Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.
Standard Assignment: $23 First Item + $7.50 Each Additional Item NonStandard Assignment: $48 First Item + $7.50 Each Additional Item Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.
Standard Margin Release: $21 First Item + $7.50 Each Additional Item NonStandard Margin Release: $46 First Item + $7.50 Each Additional Item Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.
Plat, Survey of One Tract of Land - Recording Without Drawing, One Sheet Not to Exceed 24” x 18”: $18.25 for One Sheet Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.
Plat, Survey of a Subdivision, Outlots, Condominiums – Recording of Drawings and Calculations, Each Sheet Not to Exceed 24” x 18”: $57.00 per Page of Drawings/Calculations + $10 Each Additional Page Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.